BenInJapan

Describe this!!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Koriyama Tennis Championships

Having only played tennis a handful of times in the three years since I've been in Japan I wasnt expecting to play any tournaments. But recently a japanese friend of mine has invited me to practice a few times with him and his teammates. Suprisingly after a few practice sessions I was beginning to play well. He encouraged me to enter the Koriyama singles championships and after some consideration I hesitantly agreed. I thought at the very least it would be good exercise and I've nothing to lose. I arrived at the tennis centre early Sunday morning and had a look at the draw. There were about forty players from clubs all around the prefecture. Being an unknown I was positioned in a difficult spot on the draw, having to play the second seed if I were to win my first match. Each match only consisted of one set, 6 all tiebreaker. I won my first match thus had to play the second seed.
To my suprise I beat him 6/4! I won my next two matches easily then had to play a good young left handed player in the semi final. I was down 4-0 and thought my winning streak had come to an end, but somehow clawed my way back and won the match 7/5! Then the final. The guy I had to play had beaten the first seed in the other semi. I saw the first seed playing earlier and he looked good. So I knew I was in for a tough match. I managed to get a break early and hold my service games to win 6/4 after having two match points in the previous game. I couldnt believe it, I had won. I had to win 6 rounds to win and I hadnt played that much tennis in one day for years!! I knew I'd be very sore the next couple of days. Monday and Tuesday have been very painful, sore arms, back and legs. For winning I received travel luggage, a trophy and certificate.
I guess it goes to show with a carefree attitude, and a decent level of fitness you can really surprise yourself. Apparently I have a ranking here now!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home